Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Why "Cellar" Designs?

People have often asked me why I chose Cellar Designs for the name of my business.  Some thought it was due to fun nights hanging out with family or friends and a bottle of wine.  Some thought it was because I would cut the hair of my family in our basement.  Although those all could be reasons.....
I never have really shared the real reason....until now.

Storm cellars are a "must have" for a rural farm or home that does not have a basement.  It is necessary for protection, shelter, and security.  A storm cellar that works well is angled so debris of a storm would blow up and off of it, not blocking it so it couldn't be opened back up.  They are usually a bit away from the main house, yet close enough so it could be reached quickly if needed.

For me, there is great beauty in a storm cellar door.  It usually has large hinge straps that help to keep it closed.....but yet help it to open up when ready...and the coast is clear.  These straps usually can withhold great winds and the elements for decades. They just get rusty and antiqued....but that is what is beautiful about them.


When choosing a name for my business I had to think about what is most important to me at my very core.  For me.....that is God.  I believe that God is my storm cellar and much more.  I believe that the number of storms we put Him through had to have weathered His hinge straps! :)  But...in the end.... they are strong and more beautiful with every passing year.

So, Cellar Designs was born of my gratitude to God for taking some of those big gusts of wind for me, allowing the debris to blow off the angled door, and helping me to know when the coast was clear for me to emerge from the cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment